Thursday, December 13, 2007

Bruised but victorious

We certainly finished up with a challenging task -- at least it felt that way for a first-time downloader of an ebook. I found my way to the Reading page of the SPL site and was surprised to discover that there is no heading for ebooks! (There is a heading for audiobooks.) Soon I spotted the appropriate link and was on my way. I thought I was doing well to plow through dense instructions for downloadable ebooks and eaudiobooks, but I had no idea what lay ahead! Endless screens of instuctions and agreements and registrations for Windows Live ID and Adobe DRM Activator might have discouraged me were I not an intrepid 10 Thinger. Pity the hapless patron who attempts an initial download from home. It was worth the effort in the end: I received a clear, eminently readable ebook that is mine until the plug is pulled. The process was by no means a friendly one, however.

No comments: